Sunday 6 July 2008

So, Sunday evening and another weekend bites the dust.
How is it that two days side by side in the middle of the week take FOREVER to pass, and yet these two days at the end of the week fly by at supersonic speed? It’s just wrong.
Today was another truly Bermudaful day. Lying in the sun and swimming in rock pools. We weren’t venturing into the ‘blue sea’ today due to a blitz of newspaper warnings about Portuguese Man’o’War…a curiously beautifully coloured type of jelly fish with an insanely painful sting. It’s very long tentacles will wrap around you and are murder to get off…and can reach you even if the body looks like it is too far away.
Having been stung a number of times as a child I am particularly wary…and I certainly can’t imagine having to ask Jillian to pee on me! Mind you, Lucas would do it in a heartbeat, but I think Mum is trying to discourage behaviour like that!
Jill and I had been staring at this woman who had just arrived because she had abs that belonged in a workout video…it was kind of like when you drive by an accident, it sickens you to look but you just can’t tear your eyes away. Then she did something that made us feel better. She spotted a Man’o’War that had been washed in and stranded on the beach….and she covered it with sand! This is something you don’t EVER do! Some poor unsuspecting person strolling down the beach could walk right on it and get one helluva nasty surprise. So unless you’ve got a handy DANGER sign in your beach bag to put next to where you buried it, you leave it and let the un-missable blue and purple be it’s own warning signal
We decided she can have her abs…we’d rather have our brains! And our Cheatos!
We found a sandy-bottomed rock pool that would fit all three of us and spent the next few hours ‘swimming’. Lucas broke in his new mask and float vest and I love seeing a child get enjoyment out of something I have given them….proof that I can occasionally make the right choice!
And now I’m home, sun-burnt and covered in sand and salt. Most people would be straight into the shower but I love this feeling. It means it’s the weekend, that I’ve been at the beach, and in the sea.
Having a shower takes me that much closer to Monday.
Ug.
Oh, and if anyone’s wondering what happened to all the sand on Grape Bay…don’t worry, I’ve got it. I brought it home with me. Inside my bikini bottoms.
I’ll bring it back next week, K?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's is such a woman thing! You spot another woman with amazing abs and you justify things by calling her dumb because she doesn't know how to handle a stranded sea creature... Too funny!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, can you put that sand in a bottle and send it to me, I'd love some Bermuda beach sand!

Steph said...

Well bloody well come and get it youself!!!
And did you miss the dangerous part....dangerous stranded sea creature!
But yes, you're right.
Besides I'm not likely to ever have six-pack abs anyway. =(

Anonymous said...

Yes, dangerous, stranded sea creature mishandled by woman with a six-pack. I get it... If you stopped drinking all the six-packs around, you might! ;-) (I can't talk, last time I had abs I was 19) Besides, six-packs on women aren't all that attractive, flat and toned, much better...

Anonymous said...

Oh, and then just save that sand, I'll be down soon... You'll recognize me, I'll be the touristy looking bloke walking around with a jar to put my sand in!

Steph said...

Would that be a jam jar by any chance????

Anonymous said...

Actually, now that you ask, yes. It's got a little bit left in it, need to clean it out before I can put anything back in it.