Sunday 6 July 2008

OK. So it’s been a busy few days…not for any particular reason…the heat just makes it seem so…whatever. Fine! I’ve been lazy! Again!
But seriously, the heat…and the dryness…we’re living in a desert out here…an island desert! Somebody, please, do a rain dance for us. The lawns are crunchy, the tanks are dry. Did you know that we get our household water by collecting it from our roofs and storing it in tanks below our houses?
Yes. Well. Not so much these days.
After the deluges we had a month or so ago, when we thought we might get flooded, some of the trees and shrubs are absolutely loving this. They have used it all up and are putting forth a display, with all the current sunshine, that is in my memory unrivalled.
I went out and took some photos of one of my favourite trees, the Royal Poinciana. In full bloom this tree is magnificent…you can hardly see the leaves for the blossoms. And if you look closely, each individual bloom itself is SO lovely! My pictures are of the tree at Admiralty House just around the corner from my house. I have never seen it in such a glorious display.


This afternoon was Lucas’s 3rd birthday party. I spent a very pleasant afternoon with lots of kiddos, lots of Jill’s family, and after it all we sat on the patio, sucking down our cigs, discussing out plans to give up. Right.
Everyone had a good time, though cake is a tad over-rated for me and always has been.
No one got hurt, although Cole, Lucas’s cousin, let his balloon go the minute he stepped outside the front door so we owe the ecology, and possibly one hapless turtle, our apologies….’course how were we to know he would let it go in the open air, just as they had been doing inside all afternoon? Doh. Lucas was very concerned about this and asked questions ad naseum afterwards…think I may still be fielding them when we get to the beach tomorrow!
For his birthday I bought Lucas a mask (in the shape of a giraffe…cause giraffes are known beach lovers??? Only one they had!} and a flotation vest . We are going to have SO much fun looking at the things under the water in the rock pools….and I will have great relief not having to carry that full weight through the surf!

I have been going through my collection of quotes and poems recently. One of my faves is:

I come again with greetings new,
To tell you day is well begun;
To say the leaves are fresh with dew
And dappled in the early sun;
To tell how over everything
Delight is blowing in the air –
I know not yet what I shall sing
I only know the song is there.

I have always attributed this to Keats, don’t know why. Have googled it and all…still nothing…if anyone knows where this comes from let me know!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a bit of a clue to your poem:

http://books.google.com/books?id=JZLxA5Z5TjEC&pg=PA37&lpg=PA37&dq=%22I+only+know+the+song+is+there%22&source=web&ots=SsOg_AsHL0&sig=p9fAC7BG-rtObUr0iliene7JiyQ&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result

I can't find much more about it, but the last two lines are from Fey, a Russian poet. I don't read Russian very well, so I can't find any more information...

Steph said...

Oh well done!!
Although, morning dew and dappled sunshine aren't the first things that come to mind when one thinks of Russia?????
I'll have to take your clue and dig a little deeper.
Thanks 'anonymous', you're a sweetie!!!

Anonymous said...

So because he's Russian he can't think of morning dew and dappled sunshines? He needs to think of snowy hills and white nights?


Yes, dig deeper, you'll be amazed at what Google will find you! This from your resident, anonymous, geek-boy! :-)