Saturday 28 June 2008

Dud...but then....

Last night was the big party for the Newport to Bermuda yacht race. Usually such a great party…this year, not so much.
I really wasn’t in the mood for a party but got dragged along by Jillian and Michelle…all Jillian had to say was, “Steeeppphhhh….” and I knew I wasn’t going to be able to stay at home and wallow in misery in peace!
And of course I’m glad I went. It’s another one of those events where you see people you haven’t seen since the last time. Ridiculous considering we live on 26 square miles and you could fit our entire population into a football stadium! So last night was catch up with the yachties night…and a chance to ogle at some very yummy sailors!!
And you can never be miserable for long when you’re out with that pair. Jillian and I could have a laugh regardless where we are, but with Michelle for entertainment…well, let’s just say that Michelle is done after just 2 drinks, really, that’s kind of her limit…a bit of a lightweight. Thing is, she doesn’t stop there and she gets extra flirtatious when she’s drunk…there is no entertainment quite like drunk Michelle.
But the party itself was a real flop. The yachty crowd were not mingling as much as usual. The bar situation was really badly organised and it took AGES to get a drink. And there was a certain social element in attendance that gave it a seedy, dangerous edge. They were probably drawn by one of the bands, Home Grown, who play a pretty hardcore reggae set, and since it was free and security was completely absent, they were out in force. I heard this afternoon that there was a stabbing later in the night. I can only hope that the gangs were infighting and it wasn’t some hapless visitor who was victim.
The other band, the only one that we saw, are called Secret Po Po. I saw them recently in the back room at Docksiders and was most impressed. They range in age between 17 and 19, and yet they have a varied playlist and an impressive stage presence. Unfortunately last night they sounded tinny and the lead singer off key. Maybe it was the set up, maybe the outdoor staging, maybe just a bad day at the office. Shame.
After 2 Corona Light (or sorry is it ‘Lite’ =S) and a very crappy glass of (ug) chardonnay, I’d had enough, so had Jillian. Not so Michelle! With here raring to go into town we left her in like-minded company and started to head out.
So a night I thought I wouldn’t enjoy at all, in fact resisted to the last minute, turned out to be just fine, fun in fact, despite the event itself being a dud.
Now, recently I’ve been putting a lot of things aside, not just painting, or laundry, or cleaning the bathtub. But people too. And tonight, in addition to actually having fun, 2 things happened to turn the night around in a big way.
First, earlier in the evening I got a call from my friend John in Sweden. Haven’t spoken to him in a little while since I told him I was committed elsewhere….ha! Anyways he’s missed me and still wants to come visit! It may be too late now to arrange a visit for the summer but Christmas is the next idea, and if I make it to Scotland (as is the vague plan, shhhhh! don’t say anything to my mum and dad) John will fly over to Edinburgh to meet me there. Just a shame this summer’s visit may not pan out due to a whole pile of bullshit.
And second, just as Jillian and I were deciding to leave I got a call from CK, my old FWB, who I have been ignoring due to the same pile of bullshit mentioned before. He came and picked me up and as we walked Jillian to her car she turned around to see us holding hands (WELL…it has been a while and all!) and said she wished she had a camera! Erm…no. But it sure was good to see him again. And at least I woke up with a smile this morning!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? A smile on your face? That's not acceptable! Who said you can have fun and move on with your life? Oh wait, I'm sorry, I was thinking something totally inappropriate, you meant you got a good night sleep because finally got rid of the lizard that's been terrorizing you and you weren't sleeping with one eye open expecting it to attack you in your sleep. To think I thought you meant... Well never mind, this is a g-rated blog, you'd never...

Steph said...

Dave! I KNOW that's you not Monty!. And no, lizard still terrorising me, you were right the first time!!

Anonymous said...

Dave? Monty? What? I'm anonymous, I have no name, I have no identity, I'm here to make all your friends ask you, "who the heck is that lunatic leaving you messages on your blog?" (is it working yet?) and to make your mom call you to ask the same (tell her hi for me!).

I was right the first time? NO, say it ain't so! I'm crushed, you promised me you'd call me if you were available again...

Steph said...

Mum says hi back, and also said to tell you that you should move faster.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I should just call your mum...

Nah, I'll just wait for you to be done with whomever this latest clown is. Enjoy him for awhile and call me, I'll see if I'm available...

Steph said...

Oh, give her a call anyway...that's where you'll find all the dirt you're looking for!
;-)
And....what's this 'if' business....?

Anonymous said...

Oh, like your mum's gonna spill any dirt you her little girl... Not interested in hearing about how you used to feed your broccoli to the dog at the table, I want real dirt.

Hey, all you Steph fans, how about you start filling the rest of us in on any dirt you've got on our favorite lizard lover! Come on, you know you want to!

Steph said...

OK. How embarrassing this is for both of us....I really hate to say it 'Dave' but...you're my only fan.
=(

Anonymous said...

Why should I be embarrassed? You, well, maybe a little, but I'm sure they'll all rally soon...

Steph said...

As long as you're comfortable standing alone in a crowd it's OK by me!!

Anonymous said...

Standing alone in a crowd... Hmmm, I need to think about this one...