Thursday 29 July 2010

Memories, old and new....

On my recent trip home to Scotland my brother and I went on a few road trips...he wanted a companion on the drive to the ski areas and I wanted to see and hike the countryside...perfect!
On the first of these we drove to Glencoe......

Each time, off Jonny would go to ski the good stuff at the top of the mountain leaving me to explore the lower mountainside.

I loved just hiking my way up to wherever we had decided to meet up....usually some half-point which included food and beverage!! Camera in hand I was totally happy.
On the Glencoe trip I reached the little 'chalet' early and, having had a hot chocolate and a bridie, I decided to head up the ski trail a little to video Jonny as he skied down. I found a small outcrop of rock with no snow and thought this might be a place to sit and wait.

Despite the cold air and surrounding snow, I myself was feeling warm from the hike and the sun was shining...yes, in Scotland! I felt the mossy-looking rock before sitting down on it, expecting it to be either damp or sun-warmed but it was cool and dry. I sat and looked around me. So this was Glencoe, and this was the Highlands.

It reminded me of our summer vacations to Scotland when I was younger. We had driven into the Highlands many times but we really just seemed to drive...stopping to eat lunch, stopping at an outlook to take a picture, and stopping at the next B&B. Almost as if driving was the destination for my parents! And it possibly was. It's entirely possible that simply to get four kids and themselves into a car and 'going' somewhere was enough.
Don't get me wrong, the drives were fun enough. My Dad is good, fun company and I loved how fast he drove compared to the 20mph speed limit in Bermuda.
And Mum always tried to make the journeys exciting. We never did go to Loch Ness but passed plenty of other lochs, and on passing one such Mum announced that we were passing Loch Ness and ought to be on the lookout for Nessie. Being the oldest I was in on these little diversions (unfortunately!) and we would drive around the loch with Mum, Dad and me saying "There!", "No, look over there!" and "Wait! I see something...I saw Nessie THERE!" The boys would be jumping around the back seat trying to get a better view and desperate for a glimpse of the Monster!
Those drives through that wild and beautiful countryside were pure magic. Winding roads with small streams coming down the mountain on one side, right over the road and down further still to the loch below on the other side. It always amazed me how these streams widened and flattened enough for us to simply drive right through!
We would stop occasionally at the odd touristy look out spot but we never explored, never hiked or climbed, and as it was summer we didn't ski, toboggan or sled. Which, since these were foreign activities to a bunch of island kids, we never missed. But looking back it seems a shame and certainly must have been severely frustrating to the as-yet-unleashed-extreme-wintersportsman in my brother Jonathan!!
And so, here we were, I'd accompanied Jonny on a ski day to Glencoe and we were finally doing the things we'd never dreamt we'd love doing all those years ago.
Jonny was way at the top of the mountain skiing to his heart's content. And I, a little hiked-out for the moment, resting on a bracken covered rock surveying the beauty of the Scottish Highlands.
It really was a beautiful sun-shiney day and I was feeling warm in my layers. Large patches of snow surrounded me and, while I reminded myself to thank Jonny for thinking to give me his spare ski poles for the climb (and thank goodness, they were very necessary a number of times!) I used one pole to poke at the closest patch of icy snow, fully expecting it to melt in the sun. And yet it didn't. As much as I poked and broke it up it clung to it's sparkling crystalline form as if to say "NO! I will NOT be reduced to mere water!!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for posting this, It?s simply what I used to be researching for on bing. I?d lots relatively hear opinions from a person, barely than an organization web page, that?s why I like blogs so significantly. Many thanks!
What i discover troublesome is to find a weblog that may capture me for a minute but your weblog is different. Bravo.
I've to confess that i generally get bored to read the whole thing however i believe you may add some value. Bravo !


buy Mentat | Mentat and overnight

Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.lovelouisvuittonbags.co.uk/]louis vuittoun outlet[/url][/b] If you'd like quite a few purses and purses for other, instances, when i execute, you might want to seek out standard handbags that transpire for being also well-made, economical, and produced inside of a variety of various, exciting types. Popular perception claims that the females purse should really usually coordinate the girl sneakers. Though extra generic as well as low-priced handbags, as there are tons a lot more designs to select from than in fact creator bag companies can give, it is possible to even buy clutches that may fit your finish wardrobe perfectly--not merely a person's shoes--this offers you an exceptionally spectacular glimpse and come to feel..

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonwalletsmarket.com/]louis vuitton outlet[/url][/b] ¢ Be careful of imposters. Another person could ship you an electronic mail pretending for being related by using a small business or charity. Other people could make a website that looks identical to that of a well-known business or charitable organization. The welfare program that was introduced to us definitely is excellent. But I do think that it is flawed. I recall a tune I noticed in the club throughout my to start with year at College "when pupil financial loan drops, invest in out the bar." And have confidence in me, they truly try this! I enjoy London, and all the things this town has to offer me, but let's reevaluate some points! In my opinion, the English education and learning procedure will not educate us the way to improve up earning and about the critical significance with the worth of capital.

[b][url=http://www.seekingbestbags.co.uk/]louis vuitton purses[/url][/b] Mulberry handbags: fantastic model for classy peopleCarrying purses would be the must-buy for anybody that is not merely finicky regarding their apparel and sneakers but will also choosy in regards to the handbags. Handbag is usually a for good pal for just about any girl given that they carry practically total environment within it. A lot of the periods, women have affinity toward branded products.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonwalletsmarket.com/]www.louisvuittonwalletsmarket.com[/url][/b] As you can see, it is vital to create a robust group with the team. The greater the workforce performs collectively, the better the result is for your purchaser. It may possibly be vital to focus on parts that are essential for your organisation, these kinds of as teambuilding close to trust topics (which might be lacking.).

[b][url=http://www.lovelouisvuittonbags.co.uk/]www.lovelouisvuittonbags.co.uk[/url][/b] It is really a faith which happens to be not primarily structured when compared with the rigidity on the Catholic Church. The spirituality and belief programs inside Rastafarianism probably have similarity throughout distinctive adherents. The religion is monotheistic and in addition claims there exists one God called Jah.

Anonymous said...

www.louisvuittonhandbagsgo.com At very best environment large net suppliers, like faux developer Totes Professional participant, we excellent companies selling their Louis Vuitton reproduction products and solutions at low cost prices. Choose into account women's publications, the planet huge website and utilize a assumed processes to find type gown you select. (2005).

louis vuitton outlet All people identifies the Fendi title plate, now these persons have a very total model of outfits, footwear, straps, solar hues, and rather several other stuff on top of that to imitation custom bags. Many Swarovski deposits with each other with river orbs coupled with apparent place are utilized make these au cours de. Many about a lot of of these national shorelines are simply set infrequently ever well-well-known a bunch of to coach yourself about appear up that has a many run lodge commercial worthwhile,but several of them referring to them have new leases instead These cottage,or normally louis vuitton on the web retailer houses occasionally, is hard for extra details on purchase about whether or not or not you should freak out about below no instances opt for ahead of time of cost date some They are really during the majority of scenarios finish homes,towards the whole totally ready with all might be the relatives options your residence have developed acquainted with: a adjustable conduct entirely serviced residing bedroom,a lot of master rooms, washrooms, and a new cooking spot.?.

louis vuitton outlet I started off listening to just what the other kids had been listening to. We noticed Elvis, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly as well as other early rock and rollers. In a while we read the Beachfront Boys with their tracks about daily life in Southern California, the Supremes aided by the Motown tone after which the British Invasion.

louis vuitton handbags Denim just is not for jackets and denims; a denim bag can be a wonderful approach to complement a casual outfit. denim jacket and denim jeans worn simultaneously) is taboo in the manner business. Nevertheless, what may possibly be taboo one particular time can instantaneously come to be trendy the following year.