Thursday 2 October 2008

Twiddling my thumbs

So I started my new job yesterday. I was supposed to start on Monday, but I came in on Friday for a brief meeting with Dan, my new boss, and he said 'Oh no, you take a couple extra days and relax, you just flew back. Start on Wednesday, it is the 1st then anyway.' Now while this is true, it really should have been my first clue that there was nothing particularly urgent awaiting the new employee.
And then he tells me that he is flying to Brazil that afternoon, and so not only will he be away for my first day, but he will be away for a month or more. Excellent!
He then gave me a ten-minute crash course on their payment system so that I would be able to pay bills as they came in.
Therefore on my first day, after aquainting myself with the computer system, the office in general, the ladies across the hall, the bathroom, the kitchen...you know, all the important stuff...I paid the rent for the office and for Dan's apartment, scanned a few invoices off to Brazil for instruction, and waited for the postman.
1.10pm Day 2. Still waiting. Sigh.
Bonus? Coffee with Cindy this morning for the first time in years. Weeeelll sort of...she had coffee, I had cranberry juice. And no, I am not trying to be holier than thou in saying that. I had a ciggie with my beverage, she refrained.

No comments: