Monday 23 April 2007

Invitation Only...


Invitation Only..., originally uploaded by hogfishbeacon.

When you look back at the photos taken over the weekend you really have to wonder sometimes....wh...wha...whaaa????

On Saturday night I headed into town rather late to see a band...not just any ole band....I knew a few of these guys. A few of my brother's friends, and some others, who started jammin' together a while back. Every now and then they would put on a little show at friends' weddings, parties etc. And then one night performing for a friend's birthday they were asked by the bar owner if they would like to do an official gig there. Well, why not?

And so, "The Go Down Berries" live at Docksiders this past Saturday. The name? Don't ask. But...but... my brother told me that they had nicknamed all the wives and girlfriends (who were out on the dancefloor like all good groupies) the "Go Down Girls". Hee hee!

I was impressed. They had a pretty good sound but I also really liked the playlist. Something for everyone, from The Grateful Dead to Counting Crows to old school reggae Gregory Issacs' Night Nurse and classic Van Morrison. And anyone who has been to more than one concert, of any size or type, knows that a bad playlist can ruin the whole show.

It was really good to see so many people that I don't get the chance to see much any more. My brother and his friends are a pretty tight knit group and they see A LOT of each other but, since the advent of children, most of the socializing goes on in each others' homes. Gone are the days of me running into them carousing around the bars in town. Some of my brothers' friends have been around so long and they seem part of the family....I miss the old sound of "Hey, sistah woman!!" across a crowded bar if they spotted me. There were also some of my old crowd there as well and it's always great to see them too and catch up.

Mainly it was nice for me to get to spend an evening in my brothers' company, especially one where he doesn't have somewhere else he has to be, like, ten minutes ago! He's so friggin busy that it's rare. He's just returned from a whitewater rafting trip in Costa Rica and I hate it when he's away...I guess he's kind of my touchstone and I like knowing that, even if we don't see as much of each other as I'd like to on a regular basis, if I need him I can call and he'll be there. Besides, I think he was the only person who managed to have his 'invitation only' card stuck on his forhead the right side up. The rest of us are just idiots! I'm also sorry that for some reason I can't get this damn photo to load so that it's me and my bro...instead of me an Cracks!

No comments: