Monday 19 March 2007

Ouch

I have a bad sunburn.
It was a gorgeous weekend...for the first time in a long time...two beautiful, warm, sunny days. So yesterday I grabbed my book and headed out onto the terrace to enjoy it. Very quickly I felt quite warm so I popped inside to change into a pair of shorts thinking to get some colour on my legs. It wasn't long before I was too warm again, so back in to change into a tank top. At this point, realizing how lilly white I have become over this long, particularly nasty winter, I slathered some lotion on. I don't know what it was, just that it had an SPF number on the bottle. I usually don't have that sort of lotion, the SPF kind, so it was probably sitting there still from my Mum's last visit. But, not really giving it much thought I headed out, settled down with my book and didn't really move for a couple of hours except to turn the pages.
Well, suntan lotions have a shelf life and I think this one must have been well beyond its. Judging from the scarlet that has replaced the lilly white there was no SPF left in that lotion at all and I may as well have coated myself in Crisco.
Most unfortunate is that the neckline of the dress I am wearing to KT's wedding this coming Saturday is quite a bit lower than my new, very precise tan line. I may have to go digging for the fake tan lotion and even it out a little. And keep my fingers crossed that it's not a horrible peeling, patchy mess by then. Argh!
As Bruce pointed out last night, I do this every year...get a burn at the beginning of the season. Usually because I have been trapped on a boat with no cover for longer than expected. But this is March for crying out loud!
And elsewhere in the world...Danielle emailed asking me to send her a photo of the new man as I told her she had met him the summer before last. He happens to be in the Bermuda Regiment. I wrote back, "Don't have a photo yet, but even if I did it couldn't beat the picture I have in my head of him walking up the steps and through the door in full gear...it was like a movie...soldier coming home from war and sweeping the beautiful waiting girl up in his arms. Sigh. Of course that's without the war and the beautiful and the sweeping up in arms bits."
Hee hee. It's true, there's just nothing sexier than a man in uniform!
I wonder if my sun burn qualifies as bad enough to enlist my country's armed forces to send a particular soldier over to slather something cool and soothing all over it....a life saving mission if you will.
Probably not.
Sigh.
I am loving the long evenings at this time of year although it has seemed strange on the cooler nights. It's nice to have enough light at the end of the work day to get out and tend to my 'garden'. I don't actually have a garden, just tons of plants in pots and containers...oh! I have a container garden!
Anyhoo...I bought a whole bunch of plants to fill up the patchy looking pots, and a new batch of herb seedlings to replenish my herb garden, and I might even finally remember to get the Lavender seeds out of the fridge and into starter pots.
Can't wait til 5 o'clock so I can get outta here and get my hands dirty!
And then slip into an icy bath to appease my poor skin.

No comments: