Sunday 6 June 2010

Life is Wonderful

The journal my Dad wrote for me, and gave me before I returned from Scotland in April, has been such a blessing. I can't even imagine how I would know these things if I hadn't asked him to write them down. I know things I could never have thought to ask about, or that he would have never have thought to tell me. My Dad was SHY. Huh?? I would have never have guessed that...but the strange thing is that I am shy...VERY. And nobody guesses that either. Wonder where I get that from?!

I will add excerpts from the journal as he lived in an interesting time under interesting circumstances but, having read the journal through I was struck by his closing note, written on the back pages. It reminded me that life cannot be lived with regrets. And I have set the record straight with him, that I, amongst everyone that I know, am the most openly loved and supported 'daughter' that I know. I will never, ever, forget that. Or this....here are his closing words.....

Well Steph,
Finished at last. It has been a few years in the penning but I hope you enjoy reading the contents. I'm only sorry that this journal is going back to Bermuda with you and you are going with it.
Writing has led me many times to think about life in general and one aspect in particular. Regret.
My big regret in life regardless of the reasons, has been that I have never spent enough time with you or your brothers, to be near you all and try to be some help in your paths through life.
For yourself - to see you grow into such a beautiful, self assured, confident and self-supporting woman with precious little help from your Dad fills me with so much pride and not just me, but your Mother too.
I'm sure you know, but it is always worth repeating that you are always in our thoughts at home. You are loved so very dearly Steph.
To see you again after such a while has been such a joy and I sincerely hope I will be around the next time. I couldn't bear to wait too long to see you again.
Look after yourself my precious daughter, keep in touch as I know you will, keep in good health and God bless you always.
Your ever loving,
Dad xxoo

No comments: