Saturday 6 February 2010

Fundraising for Haiti

So last Friday I went to a fundraising event for the relief effort in Haiti with my BFF Cindy and her husband. It was packed so I'm pretty sure they must have raised a fair bit of dosh.
But honestly? I'm really only including the photo because I like it! :-)
However, the week before one of the other bars in town held a fundraiser as well. I couldn't go but still wanted to contribute and the thought of going down to The Bistro and just giving them my $20 cover charge anyway seemed so inadequate.
I'd been feeling really bad, watching the devastation, that I haven't been able to do more. I'm sure I'm like a lot of other people who wish they could just go down there and DO something practical....help clean up, rebuild, help the medical teams and the relief workers.
A few nights before the event I spotted a poster that I had been thinking of putting up on ebay. Since I know Rick, the owner of The Bistro, I called and asked if he might want to try auctioning it off and see what he might get for it. He thought it was a great idea and came and picked it up.

I got this signed poster during the time I worked for U2's tour promoters, TNA (The Next Adventure, not T___ and A___ !) This was one of the tours we managed.
And as it turns out someone paid $550 for it!!! Which is $530 more than my original $20 and a fair bit more than I could have donated in cash at all!
Woo hoo U2!!

No comments: